WineD3D: WineD3D: Use the shader backend to enable / disable atifs and nvts

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg231 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 21:27:01 CDT 2008

Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> Alexandre didn't commit the patch, I think we should come to an agreement on
> this issue, otherwise it is going to come up again and again.

The fundamental issue is pretty straightforward - not sure why it's so
difficult to come to an agreement.

    - You want to mix and match vertex and fragment GL backends
    - The only maintainable way to do that is to define an interface
between vertex and fragment objects

    - You're concerned about the interface constraining the ability of
fragment to talk to vertex
    - Write a smarter interface, I also suggested an object to manage it
(linker).

You can't have it both ways - ability to mix and match backends, and
unconstrained interface. The interface doesn't have to be "the lowest
common denominator" - it could be the highest common denominator if
properly written. As Henri pointed out the fact that both GL and the
hardware are vertex/fragment aligned naturally suggests we should break
up things the same way. Even the D3D programmable pipeline is broken up
this way (there are Pixel and Vertex shader objects) - and the fixed
pipeline is going away, so if anything we should move away from its
interface.

    - You want to replace the fixed pipeline using GL shaders.
    - Then replace the fixed pipeline - this has nothing to do with the
programmable pipeline, therefore should not affect any programmable
pipeline interfaces.

You've pointed out that shader_backend_t is more aligned to a GL
extension than it is to a D3D shader. If that's the case I see little
value to having that interface - it will just cause confusion as
unrelated functionalities are packed into it. The disparity between GL
extensions will get greater as we try to add new features using a
particular extension, and we'll see a lot of functions that are just
empty forwards to other "shader backends", since they don't support
something themselves.

Ivan