Including Mono within a Wine package - should Wine expect this?

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Apr 14 14:19:37 CDT 2008

--- On Sun, 13/4/08, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
<snipped>
> > > 2) porting Mono's WinForms on top of Wine
> gdiplus
> > > instead of Mono gdiplus (and making it more
> win32-ish as
> > > a result)
> >
> >  Mono is using MS GDI+ on Windows since it uses GDI+.
> Mono's libgdiplus is
> > only used on non-Windows platforms.
>
> I guess I assumed that Mono used native WinForms on
> Windows,
> and that its winforms code was only used on Linux.  I
> clearly
> don't know enough about Mono to discuss it
> intelligently :-)
<snipped>

I can't comment on anything else, but after trying to get a .NET WinForms application
(mentioned in some of the bugs I filed) for a few months under the 3 options of
native linux mono, wine+.NET and wine+mono, I can say that win32 mono uses P/Invoke
*differently* from how .NET2 does it, and the missing APIs required to get an
application to work with the wine + win32 mono and wine +MS.NET combo is different.
So some part of the applications runs better with wine + win32 mono and some better
with wine + MS.NET ... win32 mono and MS.NET just seems to have different native code dependencies.