Including Mono within a Wine package - should Wine expect this?

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Wed Apr 16 08:52:49 CDT 2008

Ove Kaaven wrote:
> Debian's ia32-libs package isn't an example of a whole lot. It grabs
> compiled binaries from the official Debian archive, and nowhere else. It
> isn't built on a 32-bit system. If ia32-libs had contained binaries that
> could not be built 100% automatically using Debian's official archive
> (and only the official archive), it probably wouldn't have gotten into
> Debian. Besides, ia32-libs is not meant to be a long-lived package,
> it'll go away eventually.

We've been saying that for 3 years now, and we've only become MORE
dependent on ia32-libs in the process.  The chief culprit, of course, is
Wine, and Wine's need to run 32 bit applications isn't going away soon.

Really, what Debian (and Ubuntu) need is to replace the contents of the
ia32-libs package with proper 32 versions of package (sorta like how
lib32asound and lib32z1 are now).  Fixing that, however, is a bit beyond
the scope of the wine-devel list ;)

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie