Wine64?

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Tue Apr 22 01:04:46 CDT 2008

> Hello Erik,
>
> 2008/4/21, Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+win at mega-nerd.com>:
> > Hi all,
> >
> >  I'm interested in the current state of work towards Wine64, ie
> >  running Win64 binaries on x86_64 Linux machines.
> >
> >  My needs are actually really simple and hence may be a good base
> >  functionality to work towards. I just need to run Win64 binaries
> >  that read stdin, write stdout/stderr and do file I/O using the
> >  standard windows CreateFile/ReadFile/WriteFile/CloseHandle/
> >  SetFilePointer etc functions.
> >
> >  I have found and read this:
> >
> >     http://wiki.winehq.org/Wine64
> >
> >  but some of that stuff seems rather out-of-date.
> >
> >  When I configure with --enable-win64 it configures fine but then
> >  errors out in widl generated code because of things like this:
> >
> >     #if !defined(__RPC_WIN32__)
> >     #error Currently only Wine and WIN32 are supported.
> >     #endif
> >
> >  So, is anybody working on Wine64 stuff? Is there a Wine64 TODO list?
> >  Any way for me to get involved?
> A lot of the lowest level stuff is currently missing. If you don't
> mind x64 assembly it's not impossible to do. We would need support
> from gcc for the windows calling convention, and making it possible to
> mix linux calling convention with windows calling convention. If you
> are up to it just make it ignore the error for now, even if it causes
> errors. A proof of concept "Hello, world!" would be a great
> accomplishment at this point.
>
> Cheers,
> Maarten.

These days there is a 64bit version of mingw (mingw64 or so it is called). They must have patches to add the calling convention to gcc now. I'm not sure what the status is on merging the changes back but I think nothing forbids you from building gcc from their sources. I have no idea whether having the calling convention is enough for Wine.

Roderick