1.0 idea - ntdll - add a messagebox for missing dlls

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 21:35:39 CDT 2008

Hi,
My hope that was for Wine 1.0 we could add error handling for missing
dlls and functions that made sense to the user rather than just silent
failed or spewed messages to the console. If you have an application
that depends on a dll such as OUTLOOK.EXE depending on OUTLIB.DLL you
will get a message like this:

err:module:import_dll Library OUTLLIB.dll (which is needed by
L"Z:\\home\\sedwards\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\Microsoft
Office\\OFFICE11\\OUTLOOK.EXE") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for
L"Z:\\home\\sedwards\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\Microsoft
Office\\OFFICE11\\OUTLOOK.EXE" failed, status c0000135

So instead how about throwing a nice message box? I started working on
this but don't quite know how to properly pass the information to the
MessageBoxW or maybe fill in the MessageBoxIndirect structure to
display the error in a human readable format. I just don't really
know. Of course once its done this would need to be broken out in to a
helper function, its just a proof of concept....

Anyone want to help?

--
Steven Edwards