Dan Kegel : winecfg: Restrict dpi slider to sane values.

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Sat Apr 26 21:54:41 CDT 2008

On Saturday April 26 2008 23:22:37 Dan Kegel wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 10:40 AM, Lei Zhang <thestig at google.com> wrote:
> >  >  >  URL:
> >  >  > http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/?a=commit;h=faaccca59be08be54
> >  >  >7ec4e1948b6306eff3808a2
> >  >  >
> >  >  >  Author: Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com>
> >  >  >  Date:   Tue Apr 22 17:56:36 2008 -0700
> >  >  >
> >  >  >  winecfg: Restrict dpi slider to sane values.
> >  >
> >  >  Dan, this basically reverted commit
> >  >  0110512904d9c646abef416819a057c06d3f2c97, which bumped MAXDPI from
> >  > 160 to 480 because some users specifically requested the ability for
> >  > higher DPI settings.
> >  >
> >  >  I think we need to decide what we want and stop the tug-o-war.
> >
> >  Please see bug 9715.
>
> 480 was completely unusable; average Joes were setting it
> at random and were unable to use winecfg to reset it to
> something sane.
>
> I found a few monitors out there at 200 dpi, so perhaps that would
> be a reasonable upper limit, but we'd have to check to make sure that
> the average person with a crap monitor could set that to 200dpi,
> realize it was wrong,
> - Dan

	200 DPI limit is acceptable for most users. However, what this patch done by
setting maximum to this small value (144) doesn't seems to be acceptable.
There is enough users who want higher values and BTW I'm one of them (I need
150 and 160; I need two values because I have more than one monitor/computer).
	So if we want to set the maximum limit lower than on Windows we need to
choose reasonable value for most of us. I propose that we agree on at least
200 DPI limit in winecfg otherwise this puts too much inconvenience
(especially for everyone who create new WINE prefix for new set of Windows
programs, and this is what I do regularly).

> and set it back without having to edit the registry by hand.

	Just a note: in all WMs I have tried winecfg remains usable even on 480 DPI
because you can move the window as usually with Alt+Mouse_move or
Meta+Mouse_move, and you need to move the window only once to reset the
setting to any other value.