debugging applications Re: Networking problems with IDU Verwaltung software

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Aug 8 09:29:22 CDT 2008

--- On Thu, 7/8/08, Werner LEMBERG <wl at gnu.org> wrote:

> From: Werner LEMBERG <wl at gnu.org>
> Subject: Re: Networking problems with IDU Verwaltung software
> To: hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
> Cc: wine-devel at winehq.org
> Date: Thursday, 7 August, 2008, 11:33 PM
> > It is probably irrelevant, but something is looking for
> the visual C
> > 8 runtime and not finding it. You can install VC80
> runtime with
> > winetricks.
>
> Well, the program comes with a setup for VC80 files (which
> intentionally haven't installed to make Wine debugging
> easier due to
> non-tainting -- at least I hope this; please correct me if
> I'm wrong).
> However, the message doesn't disappear.

Glad to hear that you have sorted out the problem with a new version of the application. I think the general rule is that if wine doesn't provide some component (such as mfc and vc++ 80), using winetricks to install the additional components is preferred over installing application's bundled additional installers.

As for debugging problems with applications, the most useful and concise
advice I have read is actual this - I looked for it earlier but couldn't find it because the web page has a strange name :-):
http://www.winehq.org/site/developer-cheatsheet

it explains +relay and +snoop quite well, which are the first two things one normally do, I think.