debugging applications Re: Networking problems with IDU Verwaltung software

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Fri Aug 8 09:51:50 CDT 2008

> Glad to hear that you have sorted out the problem with a new version
> of the application.  I think the general rule is that if wine
> doesn't provide some component (such as mfc and vc++ 80), using
> winetricks to install the additional components is preferred over
> installing application's bundled additional installers.

OK.  As mentioned before, I explicitly looked into Winetricks, and for
that particular VC++ runtime library version it does an ordinary
install and nothing else.

> As for debugging problems with applications, the most useful and
> concise advice I have read is actual this - I looked for it earlier
> but couldn't find it because the web page has a strange name :-):
> http://www.winehq.org/site/developer-cheatsheet

Aah.  Indeed, this helps.  A minor things: I can read

  Investigate the RelayInclude and RelayExclude string values in
  [HKCU\Software\Wine\Debug] if you're being overwhelmed by certain
  functions.  [...]

I suppose this is a registry entry, right?  (I normally don't use
Windows, so I'm not too acquainted with that.)  Perhaps one or two
sentences can be added to mention this, together with an explanation
which program should be used to change those settings.

    Werner