Flaky tests are starting to get real annoying...

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Aug 12 12:58:47 CDT 2008

So, one of the things one learns when writing a
patch robot is that flaky tests are very annoying.

Each time it gets a new git tree,
the robot does five baseline "make -k test" runs,
remembers the tests that fail, and doesn't penalize
patches for failing any of those tests.  See
http://code.google.com/p/winezeug/source/browse/trunk/patchwatcher/patchwatcher.sh#92

Annoyingly, that's not enough.  Some tests
stubbornly refuse to fail during the baseline test
runs.  So I added a second, manual blacklist
for those tests; see
http://code.google.com/p/winezeug/source/browse/trunk/patchwatcher/patchwatcher.sh#63
The list is currently
 user32:msg.c
 user32:input.c
 d3d9:visual.c
 ddraw:visual.c
 urlmon:protocol.c
 kernel32:thread.c
and will continue growing as I keep plugging away at getting the
patch robot happy.

Is anybody else seeing this kind of flakiness?
(If you're not, try running patchwatcher for a while :-)

FWIW, I'm running the tests on hardy with a fresh metacity
(as described in http://wiki.winehq.org/MakeTestFailures ).