Patchwatcher status

Darragh Bailey felix at compsoc.nuigalway.ie
Thu Aug 14 04:49:47 CDT 2008

Have you considered using some of the tools out there for automated
builds and looking to integrate patchwatcher to extend them to suit your
purpose.

A number of the features you suggest below are most likely already
implemented within existing automated builds.

I currently use buildbot at work for managing builds, and it looks like
that it could handle many of your tasks if patchwatcher could be
integrated into it.

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 10:42:18AM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Next steps:
> - add timeout to handle hanging tests (every day or two
> I have to kill some test or other).   There's no
> portable way to do this from wine/test.h that
> works in Win9x, so I'll probably set WINETEST_WRAPPER
> to run the tests via a wrapper that implements the timeout.
Buildbot supports configuable timeouts.

> - distribute across multiple machines by splitting into master
> (which watches the patch stream) and slaves (which execute tests).
> I will probably use http and ftp for this so the slaves can
> be remote.
Also has master slave architecture, and they are also looking to support
load balancing in the future.

> - support multiple architectures (anybody want to run
> the slaves on MacOSX for me?)
Uses python for communications, so only the individual steps need to be
cross platform, think configure, make depend and make.

> - improve the web page to have error counts and perhaps
> separate links to the build and test logs
That's seems more project specific than buildbot, but who knows, it
might be implementable in a generic way to suit buildbot.

> - merge the chroot support (though this will need porting to
> run on MacOSX)
Would have to be added as a custom step

> - add valgrind as the next step after running tests
Supports individual steps

> - improve the web page generator to show current status
> (e.g. show the results from "make test" before starting valgrind)
Generates separate logs for each step

website is:
http://buildbot.net/trac

--
Darragh

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."