Summer of code evaluations

Gal Topper galt280 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 02:30:37 CDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm glad to say that my project to implement PrintDlgEx* went very
well, as I've implemented almost everything by the deadline, and have
test cases for every meaningful non-interactive scenario, AFAICT. The
only feature that I have not had time to implement and test is the
lpCallback member (see here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms646844(VS.85).aspx ), which
is tricky due to the COM involved, and to the fact that there is
nothing to test against. The only application that I know of that uses
it is Windows Address Book, which does not work in Wine. The up side
of this situation is of course that no application is affected by the
stubbing of this feature, at least for now.

The list of applications that benefit from this new implementation
includes mostly Microsoft software, such as IE6 (and probably IE7, for
anyone who can get it running in Wine), Paint, and (Microsoft's)
Notepad. Bibleworks has also been reported to require this function.

Plans for now and beyond: Get all this SoC code committed into trunk,
then stick around for whatever maintenance that may be needed, and
hopefully find another piece of the codebase that I would like to work
on.

Overall, this summer of code has been a great learning opportunity for
me and a great a experience.

Thank you!

-Gal