New steam survey statistics?

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Mon Aug 25 11:21:13 CDT 2008

Evil Jay wrote:
> I too would be interested in seeing the numbers, but I'm not sure you're
> going to see the correlation you expect, Scott.
>
> While Linux adoption may have grown, Valve has probably been selling
> just as many, if not more games to customers who already owned Windows
> but had never used Steam.

A priori, I don't think there's any reason to expect a decrease in
Wine's steam marketshare unless there's something that's made it
relatively worse compared with a Windows install.  The release of
BioShock over steam, for instance, was such a reason since it didn't
work on Wine, but that happened before the previous survey.  New video
cards not having (good) Linux drivers would be a similar reason, but as
I understand it the newer video cards have better Linux drivers these
days than the old ones.

On the other hand, we've seen some serious relative improvements to Wine
- Wine 1.0, Crossover Games, new distro releases, increased Linux
desktop marketshare.  Maybe 1% is too high, but I'm certainly not
expecting a decrease.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie