improvement to patchwatcher

Zachary Goldberg zgold550 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 10:54:09 CDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 2:08 AM, Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.org> wrote:
>> I think it would be quite useful. For instance it would allow sending a
>> nice reminder to the author to rethink/resend their patch if it hasn't
>> been applied after a week or so. It would also enable me (and other
>> reviewers) to always get an up-to-date list of patches that need to be
>> looked at, instead of having to keep track of it locally.
>
> Many people have tried implementing patch trackers
> (e.g. Danny Berlin did a simple one,http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GCC_Patch_Tracking)
> but they don't seem to survive long, so doing a useful one must
> be a challenge.

Indeed that does seem like a lot of effort to do properly and
completely.  Though to simply mark any individual patch as 'already
applied to the tree' vs not applied isn't so difficult.

Alexandre do you see any value in this bit of functionality?  It is a
very small bit of what real 'patch tracking' should be but not so hard
to implement given the infrastructure Dan has already set up.  If Dan
doesn't wish to implement it but Alexandre and others may perceive
value from it I will go for it.