Summer of code evaluations

Dylan Smith dylan.ah.smith at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 16:26:58 CDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 7:14 PM, Maarten Lankhorst
<m.b.lankhorst at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to request from the mentors to fill in the final evaluation
> form and from the students to give a final write up: What went well? Did
> you meet the goals you set? Did you have fun? Is there anything we can
> do to make wines summer of code better and do you feel like you've
> become part of the wine community?

Sorry for the delay in my reply, but I took a vacation at the end of
the coding period.

I am happy that I got the complete main task that I wanted to get
done, which was adding support for tables in richedit controls.  There
are some finer details that I would still like to finish, such as the
selection behaviour within tables.  I also need to fix a regression
that has come to my attention, and review any of my patches that
weren't accepted yet.  All of this will be easier to do once I get
back to my development computer, since I am still away from my home in
Ottawa.

I was also able to spend time on plenty of other richedit control
issues that weren't related to implementing tables.  I found this
helped me to get to know the richedit code quite well, as well as the
code for wordpad which I often used for ad hoc testing.  I did end up
spending more time on this than expected, so I decided not to attempt
working on windowless richedit controls during the GSoC coding period,
however I only mentioned that I would work on windowless richedit
controls if sufficient time were available.

I have also managed to learn a lot during this project,  which was the
first open source project that I had contributed to.  I have also
learned a lot more about development in a unix environment since
windows was my main operating system until 9 months ago when forced
myself to use linux primarily and confine windows to a VM.

I am also glad that I have the opportunity to continue working on
Wine, since it is open source.  Hopefully I will find enough free time
during my Masters to continue contributing to Wine.