Recent msi/package tests failures

Paul Vriens paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 04:34:45 CDT 2008

James Hawkins wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Paul Vriens <paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just sent a few patches that fix the problem with the timeout on my
>> machines.
>>
>> Do you think it's still worthwhile to disable logging by using
>> MsiEnableLogA? When I now look in my temp folder I have a few hundred MSI
>> log files. We could either disable logging or create 1 file ourselves and
>> append everything to there (removing it afterwards maybe).
>>

> Logging to one file takes just as long as any other type of logging.
> No logging should be happening.  No I don't think it's worth using
> MsiEnableLog to disable loggin.  Logging is not enabled by default,
> and to enable it you have to change some registry entries, which I
> doubt anyone is doing.

The reason for the 1 file was not to speed up things but to limit the number of
logfiles in the temp directory (and maybe the ability to remove this file as we
know the one we created ourselves).

On all of my boxes (95/98/NT/W2K/ 2 times XP/W2K3/Vista) I end up with 200 or so
logfiles in the temp directory after running the install tests. On none of these
boxes did I do anything to tinker with the msi logging settings.

It would be nice if other could tell if they have a huge number of these
logfiles in their temp directory after running the tests.

--
Cheers,

Paul.