Wine integration with native (Gtk, Qt, Cocoa/Carbon) themes

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Sat Dec 20 18:39:13 CST 2008

buu700 wrote:

> Roderick Colenbrander wrote:
>> This is technically not possible. We can't use native APIs for drawing.
>>

> Ah, that sucks. Out of curiosity, why is that? As a non-dev, logically it
> seems like Wine, which translates Win32 calls for the kernel and X11, would
> be able to do the same for Qt, but then again I know next to nothing about
> the internals of Wine. Is it that doing so would require a major redesign,
> isn't feasible for whatever reason, or just isn't possible at all?

Windows' standard controls, windows, fonts, etc work completely different
from QT ones. Win32 API exposes a lot of inner-workings of each control. And
lots of applications depend on that. I'm not even talking about how the
pieces fit together.

In short - for most windows apps to work controls have to behave in a very
particular way which dramatically differs from any other toolkit.

And no Wine doesn't just "translates win calls to kernel and X". Wine
re-implements all of the windows' user space on top of X, kernel and other
libraries.

Vitaliy