Call for winetest ing

Paul Vriens paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 10:30:45 CST 2008

Jeremy White wrote:
> Okay, so I got winetest to do something rational, and now I'd like to see if it
> will work for someone else.
>
> It's easy!
>
> Just apply this patch to a current Wine tree:
>   http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2008-February/049675.html
>
> Then configure and make Wine as you normally would.  Then,
>   cd programs/winetest
>   ./runtests <your-tag-here>
> (The tag I used was jwhite-etch64; I think you should identify who you are,
> and then if you have multiple systems, your system within that).
>
> If you have winetricks in your path, it should be completely unattended.
> (If you don't, you'll need to hang around to click 'go' to the Gecko install
> dialog).
>
> After about 5 minutes, your test results should be run and sent up to test.winehq.org.
> The cron job runs every 5 minutes, so sometime after that, a reload of:
>   firefox http://test.winehq.org/data/`date +%Y%m%d`/
>
> Should show you your results!  Easy as Pi!
>
> There is still quite a bit to do.  First, I'm waiting for a 'real' winetest expert
> to wack me with a clue bat.  But I'll stumble along until the hammer falls...
>
> Second, I want to do a stupidity check and make sure that winetest
> essentially correlates to a make -k test run.  If they are not really identical,
> then we need to fix that problem...
>
> Next, I think we should probably shift the build-id from being the date to
> being the HEAD sha1, but that's a radical enough change that I felt I needed
> to start simpler and within the current conventions.
>
> But I'd really appreciate it if folks could try this and see if we can gather
> some data quickly.  In theory, we should be able to quickly see the common
> points of failure and know where to attack first.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeremy

Hi,

The good thing about having the winetest from one
source(http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/paulm/WRT/CrossBuilt/) is that all the
output is actually from the same executable and it's easier to compare. If
people are using different build-id we will end up with a lot of directories
with single test in it.

Something we also have with the current tests is that the source files actually
point to the correct version in CVS. I now see some strange links to refs on
http://test.winehq.org/data/20080205/.

Even though the HEAD sha1 looks better than the date for a build-id it will
again introduce a lot of directories with only a few tests in there.

I don't see a problem with running the winetest executable under Wine the same
as I do under all kinds of Windows versions.

Just my $0.02

--
Cheers,

Paul.