Building tests with MSVC 6 broken?

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Feb 5 20:48:15 CST 2008

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Dan Kegel wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2008 5:01 PM, Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> wrote:
> > The solution is to use Visual Studio 2005 which is a free download.
> > There's still some hitches there:
> >  * it does not use .dsp files anymore but can convert them to the new
> >    XML build files.
> >  * in the process it loses some dll imports so you'll have to add them
> >    back manually, for each test. So it's feasible to compile individual
> >    tests but compiling all of them is a real pain.
> >  * you'd better add _CRT_NONSTDC_NO_DEPRECATE and _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE
> >    otherwise you'll get a ton of warnings.
>
> I gathered that, but check out my next post, there are other
> roadblocks.  Maybe if I use the right Windows SDK (as pointed out by John Klehm)
> some of these will go away.

I remember that when I was still using VC6 I regularly had to update the
PSDK in order to make the conformance tests happy (but note that I had a
bias towards using the PSDK headers). But at some point I became stuck
because I couldn't get the new PSDKs to work with VC6. That's when I got
forced to switch to VC2005.

So I'm not sure there exists a PSDK that's both recent enough for the
conformance tests and compatible with VC6.

                            $live{free} || die "";