Building tests with Visual Studio 2005 Express

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 6 01:28:39 CST 2008

On 06/02/2008, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> After giving up for the moment on building with Visual C 6,
> I tried Visual Studio 2005.

Do you know where the Express download is for this, as I can only find
VS 2008 Express?

These links (as well as the Platform SDK stuff) would be useful adding
to the building test documentation.

> First hitch:
> Boy, does it spew out lots of warnings about deprecated functions!

This is the same for 2008.

> Seventy-seventh hitch:
> gdiplus/tests/brush.c includes Microsoft's gdiplus.h, but that's not
> safe to include from C, so you get an error on the namespace.

It looks as if those tests need to be set to compile with C++ for the
SDK tests asnd add a "using namespace GdiPlus;" to them.

Alternatively, disable them for the SDK headers and use the Wine ones.

> Golly.  I guess I won't be building the tests with any flavor of
> microsoft C any time soon!

I have managed to get most of the tests building.

When I get the chance, I'll look at geetting msvcmaker to generate the
VC project files, but these keep changing and are incompatible with
each other!

To do it properly, VC 2002, VC 2003, VC 2005 and VC 2008 project files
need to be supported. I don't currently have access to the 2002 (7.0)
tools, but the format should be close to 2003 after the version number
differences.

- Reece