Autoplay considered harmful

Robert Lövlie topace at oijk.net
Sat Feb 16 09:29:25 CST 2008

John Klehm wrote:
>> Dan Kegel wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/15/BU47V0VOH.DTL&type=business
>>> says that USB devices are being sold with infected
>>> autorun apps.  "If you plug in, you're already infected,"
>>>
>>> I'd say that's a pretty good argument for not supporting autoplay...
>>>

> Completely not supported or disabled by default?
>
> --John Klehm

The autorun.inf files are simple enough to support with a simple script,
and they usually launch a windows program. This can be implementet in an
end system with minimum effort and no changes to the wine codebase.
I'm firmly opposed to wine polling disk drives for new mediums and
autoplaying them by default.

--
Robert Lövlie
topace at oijk.net