Next big app(s) to try?

Jaap Stolk jwstolk at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 06:07:21 CST 2008

On Feb 17, 2008 11:57 AM, Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles at elpauer.org> wrote:

> AutoCAD, please

I spend a lot of time trying to get autocad (2004) to run on Wine.
There where some small problems like registry things and with Internet
Explorer dependencies, but those where easy to solve. The big problem
is that the copy protection (and the anti-debugging tricks in it) run
as a couple of windows drivers and do things that are far from
"normal" in Windows. It is also very picky about almost everything,
and does not generate any timely or useful error messages. (it just
exits at the very end, without any clue about what went wrong.)
Without the copy protection I'm sure autocad would run just fine with
Wine. Newer autocad versions use .NET as well, which could be more
complicated. (And no, "p2p" versions still have all the copy
protection and anti-debugging tricks. )

Personally (as a programmer), I think my time would be better spend on
many of the open-source CAD programs.
(Or ask rhino3d very nicely if they want to make a Linux version. please. :-)

jaap.