Usable Wine interface

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 20:09:46 CST 2008

On Sunday 17 February 2008 05:35:46 pm Remco wrote:
> I'd like to add a feature-request (should this go somewhereelse?). What
> about making a Wine GUI to behave more like emulators likeVirtualBox. It's
> extremely hard right now to get Wine in desktop mode.

winecfg->Graphics->Emulate a virtual desktop (kind of a redundant option name)
isn't that hard. Besides, I've actually had more problems with the virtual
desktop because I had to use a smaller resolution, like 800x600, that some
GUI apps don't tend to like (Google Earth for example, will complain and
subsequent starts cause crashes because one of the window sizes went into the
negative).

> It would be nice if
> you could start Wine as an application, which opensup a window like this:
>
> http://xs224.xs.to/xs224/08081/mockup918.png (ignore the virtualbox-stuff)

IIRC, there was an app that managed Wine prefixes, wasn't there?

> And if you start one of those prefixes, it by default opens a WineDesktop
> with a simple Taskbar & Start-menu.

Wine doesn't have any shell programs. Though there are some Windows shell
replacements floating around. If you set one of them into the Run registry
key, it'll automatically start up with an app (except Run entries on startup
are currently disabled..).

Personally, I think it's the wrong way to go. Wine is supposed to integrate
with the X11 desktop, so users should be encouraged to use that (and get any
integration bugs fixed). The virtual desktop is for when you really want to
run an app, which won't work under non-virtual desktop mode (which I think
there's fewer and fewer apps like that left). Some people might want it left
in for fullscreen apps that they want run in a window, though.

My 2c...