iTunes

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 23:20:36 CST 2008

On Feb 17, 2008 11:16 PM, Maarten Lankhorst <m.b.lankhorst at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi James,
>

> 2008/2/17, James Hawkins <truiken at gmail.com>:

> > > Keys like:
> > > In HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Bonjour Service:
> > > ImagePath="C:\...."
> > > Start=0x00000002
> > > Description="....."
> > >
> > > Those are not created during install. If I manually add them the
> > > 'bonjour service' will report success on start, but actually crash
> > > right after. However it is enough to satisfy the itunes installer.
> > > Without those it will report failure without even attempting to start
> > > the service. :-)
> > >

> > hmm according to the logs, the service is installed just fine.  You'd
> > get an err otherwise.  The dependencies aren't listed, but since we
> > don't have the tcpip service anyway, it won't make a difference
> > (though that might be why it crashes when you get the service to
> > start.)
> There is a big difference. Without it it will abort installation
> because the bonjour service fails to start. With it it will start but
> immediately crash, however that happens after start so installation
> happily continues. The effect is that installer will continue. I don't
> see how it can be fine if it fails to create the appropiate registry
> keys.

I'm not saying it's not.  I'm saying that the call to CreateService
doesn't fail, or you'd get an err, like I said before.

    service = CreateServiceW(hscm, name, disp, GENERIC_ALL, serv_type,
                             start_type, err_control, file->TargetPath,
                             load_order, NULL, NULL, serv_name, pass);
    if (!service)
    {
        if (GetLastError() != ERROR_SERVICE_EXISTS)
            ERR("Failed to create service %s: %d\n", debugstr_w(name),
GetLastError());
    }

I'm not saying there's not a bug in CreateServiceW, but as it stands,
we don't get a failure.

--
James Hawkins