Wine and PulseAudio

Tomas Carnecky tom at dbservice.com
Sun Feb 24 04:35:45 CST 2008

Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> Am Freitag, 22. Februar 2008 01:50:09 schrieb Tomas Carnecky:
>> I switched my desktop to PA yesterday, got most apps working, and to my
>> surprise even flash (netscape 32bit plugin in a 64bit browser). All apps
>> that I need use PA natively, only Wine doesn't have a PA sound driver.
> The point was and is that we don't want yet another half working sound backend
> in Wine. We will have to maintain the Alsa one because there are things PA
> won't be able to give us by design, like HW mixing and lowest-latency direct
> access which is needed for gaming.

HW mixing is overrated :) Current CPUs can do the mixing just as well,
if not with a even better quality. I don't say it's useless as I'm sure
professionals have a good reason to use high-end cards with high-quality
mixers (but they should use wineasio or winejack anyway). Also, PA
ideally only adds less then 1ms of latency, that's hardly an issue, even
in gaming. Mind you, I don't say winealsa should go away, I'm just
saying PA isn't as bad as it looks.

> Of course, as you said, if someone has patches and intends to maintain it
> we're happy to accept it. But I think none of the current Wine sound
> developers(aka Maarten) has any intentions to spend time on a PA backend.

Wineasio is maintained as an external component, so I guess winepulse
could be too. There are enough free git repo providers around.

tom