Do we need a forum?

Tony Lambregts tony.lambregts at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 14:04:08 CST 2008

Jeremy Newman wrote:
> Tom Wickline wrote:
>> http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=52
>>
>> I sincerely wish you guys the best fighting off the spam assault :D
>
> Yeah, it has been difficult. Since I've never run a PHPbb board before,
> I never know how well these bots had the registration system down. It
> has really raised my blood pressure a bit this weekend.
>
> I think I've come up with a solution that will work for everybody.
> First, I updated the "captcha" image validation to be more random and
> harder to screen scrape.
>
> Second, I added a text validation field that asks you: "Who is the
> current maintainer of the Wine project?"
>
> This should stop both bots and human spammers that don't know about our
> forum.
>
> To be nice, I at least added a hint link, that takes you to the "About
> Wine" page on WineHQ, so new users will at least have to read a little
> bit of our history if they don't know.

I just tried to register and locked myself out. I don't know if it was
the capcha or what I was putting in for Wine's maintainer (Alexandre
Julliard) but one of them was wrong every time. I am pretty sure I got
the name of Wine's maintainer right so I think it has to be the capcha
but I have never had problems with them before.

Just so's you know...

--

Tony Lambregts