[Wine] Re: Windows Kernel & Executive implementation

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 18:52:32 CST 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 2:00 AM, Steven Edwards <winehacker at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Volodymyr Shcherbyna
>  <volodymyr.shcherbyna at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > I am not sure that ReacOS is a good example. Quite a big amount of code in
>  > ReactOS contains leaked code of Windows (from Windows 2k). Recently I did a
>  > research, since I have access to Windows code(code premium subscription), I
>  > am able to compare things.
>
>  I was the project cordinator for ReactOS for a while and still have a
>  pretty good relationship with a lot of the active developers. Can you
>  provide me a list of all code (just a list of offending functions
>  would be fine) that is in ReactOS that you know to be from leaked
>  windows sources and I will work with them to remove all offending
>  code.
>
>  Thanks
>  Steven

Essentially the same claims were made (I believe by the same party) on
the microsoft public newsgroups about a month ago, with the same offer
to expunge the offending code, and AFAICT, no action taken.

With regard to the other things in this thread, if the sysInternals
group at Microsoft is willing to share the interface between their
application and driver, wine could easily implement it (ultimately far
more secure than the Windows solution), then the tools could run on
wine.  Unless you're expecting filemon running in wine to magically
start showing all file access even from applications not using the
Win32 API.

The goal should not be to run Windows kernel drivers in Linux kernel
mode, that's insanity, but to implement the userspace/kernel interface
API with Linux device drivers behind.  Yes, that means people will be
limited to hardware supported by Linux, but those drivers have far
better minimum reliability than even the Windows ones carrying that
joke called WHQL certification.

Ben Voigt
C++ MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/Profile/voigt
(and MS has removed all the information on my public profile since
they changed the format...)