Improving Default Serial Port Configuration

Hans Leidekker hans at it.vu.nl
Mon Jan 14 12:47:07 CST 2008

On Monday 14 January 2008 18:46:36 James Hawkins wrote:

> > Is there a time frame for the mountmgr.sys changes? Do I need to wait
> > until Alexandre makes those changes or could I start working on this
> > fix elsewhere and just move it later. I'm not really sure where to
> > start and would love a little direction to get started. I don't think
> > this is taking on too much for my first work on wine but I may be
> > wrong on that too. Thanks for the help.
> >

> To be honest, you're greatly underestimating the difficulty of the
> task.  The fact that you have to ask such questions should alert you
> to this.

Yeah, the infrastructural problems are way beyond beginner level, but you
could simply ignore those and write some code that registers a serial device
i.e. writes registry keys below HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum

MSDN tells me there is something called the plug and play manager which is
responsible for registering devices. We have no equivalent in Wine but we may
get away with fake data for serial devices or find some other way to retrieve
it.

 -Hans