Good source for msvcr71?

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at codeweavers.com
Tue Jan 15 02:39:44 CST 2008

"Dan Kegel" <dank at kegel.com> wrote:

> I finally ran into an app that wanted msvcr71
> but didn't bundle it (supercopyright).
> After a few minutes of looking, I couldn't find it
> anywhere on microsoft.com.  The best source
> I could find was the installer for spambayes 1.1,
> but that's inconvenient.  Anyone know a better source,
> preferably at microsoft.com?
> I'd like to add it to winetricks.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/abx4dbyh(VS.71).aspx

<quote>
What is the difference between msvcrt.dll and msvcr71.dll?

The msvcrt.dll is now a "known DLL," meaning that it is a system component
owned and built by Windows. It is intended for future use only by system-level
components. An application should use and redistribute msvcr71.dll, and
it should avoid placing a copy or using an existing copy of msvcr71.dll
in the system directory. Instead, the application should keep a copy of
msvcr71.dll in its application directory with the program executable.
</quote>

So, it seems like Microsoft suggests to always distribute its own copy of
msvcr71.dll with every application. That means that it's unlikely that
Microsoft will provide an installer for it on microsoft.com.

Just an idea, can we build our mozilla dlls so that the build includes
msvcr71.dll?

--
Dmitry.