Wine font license

Brian Vincent brian.vincent at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 20:30:21 CST 2008

Right now on our fonts we say they're LGPL.  (Look for the LangName
attribute in the .sfd file.)

We might want to make a modification to that.  Here's what the FSF has
to say about it:
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#FontException

Or, to just copy and paste that info:
-----------------------8<-----------------
"How does the GPL apply to fonts?"

Font licensing is a complex issue which needs serious consideration.
The following license exception is experimental but approved for
general use. We welcome suggestions on this subject—please see this
this explanatory essay and write to licensing at gnu.org.

 To use this exception, add this text to the license notice of each
file in the package (to the extent possible), at the end of the text
that says the file is distributed under the GNU GPL:

 As a special exception, if you create a document which uses this
font, and embed this font or unaltered portions of this font into the
document, this font does not by itself cause the resulting document to
be covered by the GNU General Public License. This exception does not
however invalidate any other reasons why the document might be covered
by the GNU General Public License. If you modify this font, you may
extend this exception to your version of the font, but you are not
obligated to do so. If you do not wish to do so, delete this exception
statement from your version.

-Brian