winecfg.cpl: Add new control panel applet for winecfg

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 18:37:35 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Owen Rudge <owen at owenrudge.net> wrote:
>  > First, that's not what I was suggesting. I was disagreeing with
>  > adding a winecfg cpl applet. Second, I'm likening winecfg to a very
>  > poorly-designed control panel. There are several categories that can
>  > go into their own cpl applet, like 'Sound' and 'Graphics' (or whatever
>  > you want to call them), though there's not a 1-to-1 correspondence
>  > between winecfg tabs and potentially beneficial cpl applets.
>
> Ah, I see now. Well, that's what I'm ultimately hoping to do, although
> as mentioned before, working out issues with the likes of how to
> integrate an interface for application-versus-global settings for each
> applet will require a bit of thinking. In addition, I imagine splitting
> up/redesigning winecfg is something that may involve a bit of resistance
> from those already accustomed to its present manner of working. This
> patch is just the first part of a submission to create a basic control
> panel skeleton - as I said before, I am hoping to redesign parts of
> winecfg and shift those parts into their own control panel applets
> (which technically can be all part of this same .cpl file). For the bits
> that don't get moved into separate applets, I don't see why a general
> Wine Configuration icon would be a bad thing, for the time being at least.

I still don't see the need for a winecfg cpl applet at this point.
You say that the Wine Configuration icon is ok for the time being.
Take your time and design it correctly the first time, so you or
others don't have to go back and fix it later.  Measure twice, cut
once, as they say.  I want to reiterate that, as far as I remember,
this project doesn't have anything to do with redesigning winecfg.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

--
James Hawkins