Tests and Valgrinding

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 08:03:12 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Zachary Goldberg <zgs at seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've been watching wine a bit recently and there's been a lot of
> activity (code wise) in new features (backpressure from the freeze I'm
> sure) and lots and lots of test fixes.  I know we have test.winehq.org
> which is fantastic, but it doesn't give a very good feel for progress
> that all of these recent patches have been making.  Sure we can look
> at individual days and see how things go but there exists no real
> aggregate over time to see how the test suite is doing as a whole on
> all platforms.  Do we have any such metrics/graphs?  I think those
> would be very interesting and perhaps motivating.
None that I know of currently, though it would be very interesting.

> (Perhaps I should work on that to add to the last post in WWN's?  Bugs / Appdb / Test Suite)

Would be a great idea!

> Also, Dan Kegel has been extraordinarily diligent in valgrinding of
> late (/applause) and I just wanted to ask if we're doing anything to support him?

+1

> Once he posts to the list it seems that its the author's
> (of the breaking patch) responsibility to fix the problem.  Some
> people have been very diligent in that (again, /applause) but I think
> some of Dan's posts have been left unanswered.   I know Dan mentioned
> perhaps making Valgrind-passing a requirement (along with not breaking
> tests) for being committed.  I think perhaps we should take a look at
> this and seriously consider implementing it.

Adding a Valgrind requirement wouldn't be too difficult, but would
depend on Alexandre. As for testing requirements, he already tests for
breakage on Wine, but depending on him to test Windows is a bit much
IMHO. There are so many versions/configurations that need to be tested
that's it's obviously too much for one person. Before sending in
patches, one should test their own patches on Windows if possible, and
if one sees a patch on -patches that breaks Windows/Wine, it should be
reported on -devel *before* it's applied. Otherwise, once it's seen on
test.winehq.org, file a bug or report it on -devel.

-Austin