Tests and Valgrinding

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Jul 2 10:31:15 CDT 2008

Zachary Goldberg wrote:
> test.winehq.org ... is fantastic, but it doesn't give a very good feel for progress
> that all of these recent patches have been making.

I would love to see a feature added to test.winehq.org
which showed one tests's results across time (and platform).
That would let you see regressions (and progress) at a glance.

> Also, Dan Kegel has been extraordinarily diligent in valgrinding of
> late (/applause) and I just wanted to ask if we're doing anything to
> support him?

A few people are starting to run Valgrind themselves.
How about this: if you ever post a patch that causes a
valgrind warning, you send yourself to valgrind jail for a month,
and valgrind every patch you write before you send it in...

> perhaps making Valgrind-passing a requirement (along
> with not breaking tests) for being committed.  I think perhaps
> we should take a look at this and seriously consider implementing it.

As a first step, James and I could (along with posting the errors
to wine-devel) also post patches to revert the guilty changes.
(And if we do it quickly enough, perhaps Alexandre can
do the revert on the same day...)
Then the author could fix and resubmit.
How's that sound?
- Dan