Tricking program into seeing actual gfx driver not WINE's

Seth Shelnutt shelnutt2 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 22:24:28 CDT 2008

Hello All,

We have run into an interesting problem while trying to get the latest
version of Stanford's Folding at Home GPU client to work in Linux via WINE.
The programs says it does not detect a compatible GPU. Even when the user
has installed the correct Nvidia drivers (with CUDA support)  and has a
compatible GPU. The problem I believe lies in  the fact that the program is
not told that there is a Nvidia 8800 installed, instead by the nature of
WINE it see that  "WINE" is the graphics card, as WINE first translate the
direct3d calls into opengl calls that are then passed on to the GPU. So the
question is, is it possible to trick programs into believing they are
running on the right hardware? (As in fact they are).

I remember a while ago the steam system spec survey was used to see how many
people run steam via WINE. This was done by noting the graphics driver
installed and how the wine one appeared when running WINE. Well this is fine
but what we need is a way to make the program to see that it is actually
running on Nvidia hardware. Because if the client would just start then the
direct3d calls can be translated into opengl calls and the Nvidia linux
drivers can then handle them and run it all fine and dandy.

Here is the post, with error message about wrong graphics card detected,
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5698997&postcount=19 .

Thanks,

Seth Shelnutt