Midterm evaluations for summer of code students

Adam Petaccia adam at tpetaccia.com
Tue Jul 8 11:14:38 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 14:39 -0700, Maarten Lankhorst wrote:
> Hi students,
>
> As you might know it's time for midterm evaluations. Unfortunately for
> some students I haven't seen the progress they made, and I highly
> encourage all students to send their patches early and often, even if
> it's not yet finished.
>
> Also, I would like to hear from all students now a reflection. What
> went well, and what didn't, and what did you accomplish so far? :-)

So far I've accomplished a great amount of text handling functions
(FontFamilies, FontCollections, and StringFormat) (which I need to clean
up before sending) in GDI+, and I expect to have those finished by next
week (putting me a week behind where I want to be), but I'm also working
on GpRegion handling now (as oddly enough, a few StringFormat functions
need it).

For what hasn't gone so well, I still need work on focusing on
_one_or_two_ sub-projects at once (mild ADD at work) - as a bunch of
half finished projects don't help too much. The other is sticking closer
to test-driven development. I've often found myself caught up on why my
code doesn't make some app work, and it becomes clear once a simple
testcase is written (or at least clear what isn't the problem).

This has been a very rewarding and empowering experience, and I look
forward to contributing to Wine after Summer of Code is finished.