Add "Wine FAQ" entry to Wine menu?

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Wed Jul 23 01:58:25 CDT 2008

Dan Kegel wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 3:11 AM, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
>>> Recently, several newbies had trouble finding the FAQ
>>> and were surprised to hear that it could be helpful.
>>> Perhaps if our packages added a "Wine FAQ" menu
>>> item, they'd have less trouble finding it.
>> The FAQ is english only,
>
> We could start translated versions.  I think nobody's tried yet because
> it's intimidating.  (I had one offer to translate it into spanish,
> not sure where that is.)
>
>> it's a web site (unlike all other documentation),
>
> Well, sure.  That's so users can edit it.

Obviously, and that's a good thing.  But what I'm worried about is
consistency - no where else that I'm aware of in Ubuntu does help point
you to a web resource, even though there's tons out there.

>> and it contains a lot of unrelated information like
>> stuff for newer versions or other distros.
>
> I just looked, and I don't see a lot.  (Mainly the two Apple entries.)
> That seems ok to me.
>
>> Ideally, of course, users shouldn't have to read anything before being
>> able to use Wine.
>
> Of course.  But there will always be questions like "How do I run the
> apps I had installed in XP without reinstalling them?", and for those,
> we need to point the user to some documentation.
>
>> As an alternative, I suggest that near release time we consider forking
>> the FAQ, trimming all the unrelated stuff, polishing it up a bit, and
>> bundling that as proper documentation (including being indexed by
>> scrollkeeper and friends).
>
> That might be nice, but it's a heck of a lot of work, and the FAQ
> link is something that would be useful now.
>
>> Additionally, there are some other documents we should update first and
>> have them point to the Wine FAQ, most notably the pages on Wine in the
>> Ubuntu Wiki and the sticky threads at the top of the Ubuntu Wine forum.
>
> Why should we wait for that?
> - Dan

Well, this update (or something like it) isn't going to happen for
another 3 months until Intrepid comes out anyway; users of the
budgetdedicated.com packages are already browsing the Wine website,
where the FAQ already is (though perhaps it could be pointed to on the
download-deb page).

So, we have a bit of time to do this right.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie