Signature checking in Wine

Kornél Pál kornelpal at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 03:22:51 CDT 2008

Hi,

Paul Millar wrote:
> As an aside: this looks to me like a logical fallacy.  If I may rephrase your
> argument:
>   1. Most signed software is from a large code-base (probably true)
>   2. Large code-bases are more likely to have vulnerabilities (probably true)
>   3. Therefore, signed software is more likely to have vulnerabilities (wrong:
> not deducible)
> See:
> 	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy#Logical_fallacy

A digital signature is intended to certify that the software was really
published by it's claimed vendor.

It does not protect against bugs, vulnerabilities, intentional malware
or anything else.

But protects you from hosting that modify intallers to drop malware for
example. Or may save you from viruses pretending to be Microsoft software.

Kornél