IWineD3DDeviceImpl_SetRenderState

Stefan Dösinger stefan at codeweavers.com
Sun Jul 27 10:44:14 CDT 2008

> /*****
>   * Get / Set Render States
>   * TODO: Verify against dx9 definitions
>   *
As Henri said, this needs a test case. So far we have not found any Set*
function that returns an error. For SetTexture, SetSamplerState, ..., if the
sampler index is out of bounds, the native implementation happily corrupts
memory and returns D3D_OK rather than checking anything.

Also even if tests confirm it is correct, I don't think this patch is a good
idea unless we have a game that breaks because it expects an error from this
function back. The setter functions are highly performance critical. Those
value checks add a lot of code(if-then-else constructs in the compiled code)
which slows things down. In benchmarks every single if statement in the
setter function hurts.