dinput: the DIK_ keycode is not the same as the scancode.

Aric Stewart aric at codeweavers.com
Thu Jul 31 07:08:03 CDT 2008

Yes this is a specific problem I am seeing. In a Japanese online Mahjong
game, there appears to be no way to remap the keys and the game is using
the top 2 rows of the keyboard to control the movement of the tiles in
the game.

the top row scan codes for a japanese keyboard are:
1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9    0    -    ^    \
0x02,0x03,0x04,0x05,0x06,0x07,0x08,0x09,0x0A,0x0B,0x0C,0x0D,0x29,
second row
q    w    e    r    t    y    u    i    o    p    @    [
0x10,0x11,0x12,0x13,0x14,0x15,0x16,0x17,0x18,0x19,0x1A,0x1B

Notice how 0x0C (-)  0x0d(^) 0x1A(@) and 0x1B([)  have scan codes that
do not correspnd to the character on the qwerty keyboard.  This means
with the current code if the user presses the key to the right of 'P' it
generates a DIK_LBRACKET which is  actaully they key two to the right,
so the wrong tile gets highlighted.  The program is looking for DIK_AT
for that key.

vkey codes similarly do not produce a clean 1 to 1 correspondance.  the
'@' key (0x1a) is vkey (VK_OEM_3)  which is the vkey of the '`' key on
the us keyboard.

So I am seeing a real world problematic behavior in wine that I am
trying to correct. Your presumption that ALL programs let the user remap
their keys seem overly broad.

I like Michael's  idea of initializing this lookup array on
initialization of the keyboard. Then we only have to worry about it if
the user switches keyboard layouts mid program and since last i looked
wine does not support that anyway we would be ok.

If i built the lookup table at that point would you have any objection
to that?

-aric