How long does it take you to compile wine?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Jun 1 03:16:19 CDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 12:47 AM, James Hawkins <truiken at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Today I measured it on a new computer (with a spiffy
>> new Intel dual core e7200 processor with 2GB of RAM,
>> http://kegel.com/new-computer-2008.html ).
>>
>> Result: ... it takes me a bit longer today on this machine (11 minutes)
>> to build as it did then on a dual cpu hot rod (8 minutes).
>> I guess Moore's Law isn't quite keeping up with Wine's code growth :-)
>
> What are your arguments to make?

Details are on buried that page, but it's "-j3" for the dual core /
dual CPU systems.

I found a nice graph of Wine's codebase size over time:
http://www.ohloh.net/projects/wine/analyses/latest
Looks like it's just about exactly doubled since that
last measurement in late 2002.

I suppose my e7200 is a budget performance system; a dual Xeon back then
was pretty special.  Probably have to compare it to something
heftier today?
- Dan