How long does it take you to compile wine?

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 1 02:55:44 CDT 2008

2008/6/1 Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com>:
> Way back five years ago, we all compared notes on how
> long it took to build Wine on our systems.
> http://www.winehq.org/site/?issue=149#Compile%20Time%20Comparisons%20/%20Tips
>
> Today I measured it on a new computer (with a spiffy
> new Intel dual core e7200 processor with 2GB of RAM,
> http://kegel.com/new-computer-2008.html ).
>
> Result: ... it takes me a bit longer today on this machine (11 minutes)
> to build as it did then on a dual cpu hot rod (8 minutes).
> I guess Moore's Law isn't quite keeping up with Wine's code growth :-)

Have you checked how much Wine has grown in size since then and
factored that in as well?

Five years seems to be before CodeWeavers took the torch (I don't know
when they started contributing *big time* to Wine) with the MSI,
DirectX and other improvements.

A way to get a better idea would be to get the number of lines in the
make output and have a lines/second comparison. This is because Wine
could be twice as big as it was five years ago.

- Reece