Wine in the news

Kai Blin kai.blin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 08:44:30 CDT 2008

On Friday 06 June 2008 15:11:34 Dan Kegel wrote:

> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39429910,00.htm
> http://economyaustria.at/Text/?id=3363378
> Vienna migrates some Linux workstations to Vista because
> a single app, Schlaumäuse, crashes under Wine.
> Looks like they send the software out upon request
> to teachers; see http://www.schlaumaeuse.de/
> (Can somebody send me a copy?)

To quote from the zdnet report:

[quote]
The software maker behind the Schlaumäuse software is planning a Firefox
version for 2009, according to Ringler, who pointed out in the report that
the city could have subsidised a Firefox version of the software for a
fraction of the cost of the Windows Vista migration.
[/quote]

Given that they didn't even bother to file a bug report or add an appdb entry,
that sounds pretty fishy. I know that there's been a couple of bug reports
and requested changes to Samba when Munich migrated to Windows. I don't see
why any real user of Wine wouldn't at least file a bug report.

Overall it seems like Vienna is looking for reasons to back out of the Linux
migration, perhaps in exchange for some goodies some big companies would
donate in that case. Things like this have happened before.

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin