AW: Wine in the news

Stefan Dösinger stefan at codeweavers.com
Fri Jun 6 11:18:05 CDT 2008

FYI, this is my first Outlook dogfooding mail. Please holler if there's
anything wrong, like HTML or strange attachments.

> Overall it seems like Vienna is looking for reasons to back out of the
> Linux migration, perhaps in exchange for some goodies some big
> companies would donate in that case. Things like this have happened
> before.
There was a small remark about this in the classic newspapers here as well,
and even my dad(non-technie as far as computers are concerned) had the
impression that the real reason for the switch is unofficial for legal or
ethic reasons...

As far as the price is concerned, it seems that they're buying 750 Vista
Ultimate licenses for the computers, otherwise they wouldn't spend 400.000
euro just for those boxes. What's especially embarrassing for me(as an
Austrian) is that the other days we're told that there is no money for
anything in education. Feels like a banana republic at times.

I guess someone should send Vienna an offer to write an IE replacement
capable of running that app for 1/4th of the 8 Millions, or maybe a
realistic price even, and see what happens, just for the amusement of the
political discussion. Jeremy?