kernel: updated French translation

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Sat Jun 7 10:28:14 CDT 2008

Kornél Pál wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Laurent Vromman wrote:
>
>> You often use the word "Mauvais" as a translation for "Bad". Sometimes,
>> it could be better not to translate literally. For example, I think
>> "Niveau de pilote incorrect" is a better translation for "Bad driver
>> level" than "Mauvais niveau de pilote". You should try to avoid
>> "Mauvais" anytime you can.
>>

> I think that using "bad" should be avoided in English texts as well and
> the original English version should also be improved not just the French
> one.

Kornél:

I agree with this.  The word in English 'bad' has many meanings.
Improper, poor, broken are better words:

An improper response was received.
The program functions poorly.
The pipe is broken.  The program breaks (a form of broken) when you
attempt to do that.  (Better than it is a bad program.)

The 'bad program driver level' could be replaced with 'Please install a
driver with the appropriate level.  Your driver level is: xx.xx.xx'
It is a little wordy but gets the point across.

James McKenzie