Trying to build rc4 for MacOS, having problems with libpng, libjpeg, etc.

Thomas Kho tkho at tommykho.com
Mon Jun 9 16:26:30 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Timothy Normand Miller
<theosib at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.  I'm trying to build rc4 for MacOS (Leopard),
> and I'm running into some problems, and I hope I'm not a bother to ask
> for some help.
>
> When I do ./configure, I get the following messages:
>
> onfigure: WARNING: libjpeg development files not found, JPEG won't be supported.
>
> configure: WARNING: libpng development files not found, PNG won't be supported.
>
> (and several other similar ones)
>
> I know for a fact that these libraries are installed under /sw (via
> Fink), along with the include files, but no matter what I do, I can't
> get get configure to find them.  Here's how I'm trying to do it so
> far:
>
> export LDFLAGS=-L/sw/lib
> export LIBS="-lpng -ljpeg"
> ./configure --prefix=/sw --exec-prefix=/sw
>
> What am I missing?

I actually tried to build it for the first time on OS X last night.
You need to point to the Fink headers:

CPPFLAGS=-I/sw/include

and if it barfs on xslt and you have pkg-config installed via Fink,
prepend another

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig

configure.ac uses pkg-config output if it's available and falls back
on {xslt,xml2}-config if it's not. Without setting the
PKG_CONFIG_PATH, a system with Fink's pkg-config will look for .pc
files somewhere under /sw and miss the system ones in
/usr/lib/pkgconfig for libxml and libxslt.

What configure.ac should probably do is to first check pkg-config
output if pkg-config exists, and then try {xslt,xml2}-config if
pkg-config returns an empty string or if it doesn't exist.

-Tom