ddraw: modify Direct3D device name

Jeff Zaroyko jeffzaroyko at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 02:16:48 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:24 PM, Jeff Zaroyko <jeffzaroyko at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 8:49 PM, Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmx.at> wrote:
>>> Descent FreeSpace: The Great War and Descent FreeSpace 2 fail to detect
>>> hardware acceleration through Direct3D when enumerating devices, they
>>> expect the device name string to begin with "Direct3D - "
>>>
>>> This patch enables the Direct3D mode to be used.
>> I am not entirely sure about this. I think there were other apps(Quicktime?)
>> which depend on some other name.
>>
>> I think the best is to see which name Windows uses, make ddraw.dll read the
>> name from WineD3D, and make WineD3D return the same name Windows does for
>> the detected card.
>>

> I think you're thinking of DirectDraw HAL which there is specific
> mention of quicktime
> in ddraw/main.c, my patch doesn't touch this, it corrects the string
> for Direct3D HAL

It appears I was mistaken, I confused two different programs by the
same name, one which used Direct3D and another which did not, so my
patch is incorrect.

I created some new ddraw tests that print out these various strings to
help understand what was what on Windows vs Wine.

For those who are curious, I've published a colourful diff between
what Wine returns vs Windows.

Wine vs Windows 98 with nvidia fx 5200 -
http://jeffz.name/wine/enum/wine-vs-win98-nvidia.html
Wine vs Windows XP with ati 9600 -
http://jeffz.name/wine/enum/wine-vs-winxp-ati9600.html