Revert "wined3d: Preload target in ActivateContext() for ORM_BACKBUFFER/ORM_PBUFFER."

Zachary Goldberg zgs at seas.upenn.edu
Wed Jun 11 17:59:07 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 5:49 AM, Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.org> wrote:
> Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmx.at> writes:
>
>> Am Montag, 2. Juni 2008 06:50:15 schrieb Vitaliy Margolen:
>>> This reverts commit 2d0016c5bc872afb562727278cfd341cea182600.
>>> Partially fixes bug 11584.
>> I think we can revert that patch(ie, apply this patch). I haven't had time to
>> look over the code yet, but I can't think of any problems this would cause.
>
> It does cause problems:
>
> ../../../tools/runtest -q -P wine -M d3d8.dll -T ../../.. -p d3d8_test.exe.so visual.c && touch visual.ok
> visual.c:709: Test failed: Offscreen failed: Got color 0x00000000, expected 0x00ffffff.
> visual.c:712: Test failed: Offscreen failed: Got color 0x00000000, expected 0x00ff00ff.
> visual.c:890: Test failed: SRCALPHA on texture returned color 00000000, expected bar
> visual.c:897: Test failed: DSTALPHA on texture returned color 00000000, expected foo
> make[2]: *** [visual.ok] Error 4
>
> --
> Alexandre Julliard
> julliard at winehq.org

Proposal: Revert the commit referenced in bug #11584 before this
Friday, so it can be tested in rc5.  I think the weight of the
following is greater than breaking a test (making the test a todo for
now would be a good idea I think).  Also, there's no reason to keep
the patch reverted post 1.0 as devs continue to make progress towards
a proper solution.

First, the list of applications thought to be broken by the patch as
documented in bugzilla (more may exist):

Call of Duty 4 (11584 itself)
Psychonauts  (11630)
Fifa 2006 world
Supreme Commander
Oblivion (Maybe?)

So why not wait for 1.0.1?  Of the remaining 1.0 bugs this is the
biggest one known to have broken a large number of *popular* games.
In addition as soon as 1.0 is released the floodgates will open for
patches and wine may not be stable enough to release again for a few
weeks.  This leaves all of the gamers who downloaded 1.0 [for these
games] out in the cold without a package which includes a fix and a
sour taste in their mouths.

Steve D. has been making good progress towards finding a proper fix
for this bug; however by no means should we put pressure on him to
have this bug fixed by Friday.  Thus I propose we revert the initial
commit for now, test it during rc5 to make sure things work again, and
then allow Steve to properly fix the bug post 1.0.

-Zach