Wine-1.0 release notes

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Wed Jun 11 20:46:14 CDT 2008

Reece Dunn wrote:
> 2008/6/11 Vitaliy Margolen <wine-devel at kievinfo.com>:
>> In short - that after everyone's hard work and 15 years of development
>> wine-1.0 is just a release tag nothing more.
>
> I think that this is overly harsh. It's like saying that you should
> not celebrate a birthday, as that is just you aging just a day,
> nothing more.

If birthdays would start coming every 2 weeks after about 100's you will
loose track and won't care anymore which one it is.

> Wine is in a strange position as it is trying to make any Windows
> application (ultimately) run on any suitable posix system with a
> suitable X server. Given that a new version of Windows is usually
> released every 2-3 years, with new features, APIs and functionality,
I wouldn't go that far. Win2k was released in ... 2000. XP (which has some
number of additions over win2k) was release in 2003 with minor additions in
2004 and 2005. And no one in their right mind makes Vista only versions.
That gives us what? 8 years.

No this argument don't fly - not much is changing in the win32api world, or
MS would risk killing all their legacy stuff - which is the only reason
windows is still being used.

> Yes, regressions will happen. Yes, applications will crash/fail to
> work. But think of all the applications that *do* work; given what
That's the problem. After identifying a regression it should be fixed.
During the code freeze, the changes should be reverted, especially if this
is new functionality that's having issues. And where were are with those? We
have a big list of regressions introduced by major changes to different
parts of Wine either right before the code freeze or during(!) the code
freeze. And most of those regressions are still not dealt with.

I'm not blaming anyone as I'm guilty creating regressions in the past.
However the goal needs to shift from getting new features in, to stabilizing
and bug fixing. And ~1 month for that is not enough, considering that it
takes so long to fix some of the problems. I was really surprised to see
_ANY_ new features getting into Wine in the last 2 months. Let alone major
ones like XIM, child X windows, pixel formats.

> NOTE: I am not saying Wine is perfect, I'm saying that the message
> should be positive and realistic instead of unduly negative.

I did not meant to make it sound that negative. After all each new version
of Wine had number of important features and loads of bug fixes. Which is
great on it's own. Just don't make wine-1.0 anything more then it really is
- new release with bug fixes and no new features.

Vitaliy