Wine-1.0 release notes

Susan Cragin susancragin at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 11 20:51:42 CDT 2008

I would agree and go further.
Wine has made Linux handicapped-accessible for a great number of people, including me, who have mild repetitive-motion difficulties that make typing for any length of time uncomfortable.
Many of the people who use Linux are programmers and are technically proficient, and they seem to want a lot from their computer, but here I sit, comfortably churning out text at the rate of almost the spoken word. I transcribe interviews, write letters, complain to my congresspeople, and am writing this, with no effort (and sometimes, not much thought either, because you see, it's not an effort to type).
Dragon NaturallySpeaking is a tremendously complex program, and it is a miracle that it has been made to run on Linux. Now, it runs in basic form. Many of its "special features" don't work. But on the other hand, if it were being sold as simply a text recognition medium, it would still sell. That's what it does well. It recognizes spoken words and writes them down, fast.
In addition, I expect that soon wine and Linux will run Dragon NaturallySpeaking faster than Windows will. Windows Vista will run it better, because more of its features will be enabled, but Linux will run it faster.
And faster means better, means more words PLUS more accurate recognition. As soon as some of the bugs get worked out Ubuntu and ALSA sound, and I get better accuracy scores from my microphone, I expect Dragon NaturallySpeaking to recognize text better on Linux than it does on Windows.
What that means for transcription services, for court reporting, etc., is anybody's guess. But I plan to find out when I take a speed test on the last day of July.
Dragon NaturallySpeaking is a unique program. Just ask those folks at IBM who worked on ViaVoice. That program was abandoned. Ask the people at Carnegie Mellon who worked on Sphinx for Linux. Ask Microsoft, which is trying to develop its own. Dragon NaturallySpeaking is the type of program that isn't going to have a rival for 10 years.

Now that I've gotten that particular rant off my chest -- and don't worry about my fingers, it only took me a minute to do it -- I'd like to mention another very useful program that wine runs flawlessly. This is keynote, a note-taking program used by academic researchers.

Here is another little thought to ponder. Massachusetts USA developed a state requirement for "open document format" but it has been delayed because, as one lobbyist put it, "there are no office applications with native ODF support that provide accessibility for persons who use assistive technology devices."

I mean, how proud do we need to be about not running everything?

Susan