Wine-1.0 release notes

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 11:41:13 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote:
> The bugs may be deferred, but if the bugs aren't reported, no one
> knows to fix them, albeit not likely until after 1.0.

If I recall correctly the criteria for target applications was that
they be freely accessible such as a the Office viewers. That and my
lack of free time prevented me from working on the bugs that I know to
exist with office versions. I view the whole 1.0 process as flawed at
this point. IMHO Wine should be able to run some versions of Office
out of the box. This is just my personal view. One of the core Wintel
Monopoly supporting pillars is Microsoft Office. If Wine does not run
some versions even in a somewhat limited manner out of the box, then I
view the whole thing as flawed.

Before someone says CrossOver.....Every other free software package
even with commercial backing works as expected out of the box even if
it requires configuration tweaks. Current it runs none. You download
Apache, it runs web pages out of the box, Samba, it can share out of
the box, MySQL, databases out of the box. As it stands right now, even
with dlloverride changes no version of Office that even sort of
half-assed runs out of the box. Your lucky if you can get Winword 2003
to run out of the box after installing Office 2003. The only version
that installs without tweaks.

I'll save the rest of my rant for Monday when I have more time.

--
Steven Edwards