[legal] eligibility for contributing code to wine for students / graduates of a course derived from the Microsoft Windows Acadamic Program

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 07:37:03 CDT 2008

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 7:33 AM, James McKenzie
<jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com> wrote:
>> "You may use any information in intangible form that you remember
>> after accessing the software. However, this right does not grant you a
>> license to any of Microsoft's copyrights or patents for anything you
>> might create using such information."
>>
> That's about as simple as it gets.  They cannot contribute to Wine without
> breaking this.
> James McKenzie

I don't follow. No one that contributes to Wine has a license for
Microsoft Copyright or patent. IANAL but It seems to me that it means
something like the following in layman's terms.

You can use whatever you remember afterward, but you can't copy and
paste source code, and accepting this license or remembering something
from it does not exempt you from patent litigation. (which no one is
exempt from anyway)

I'll email Microsoft licensing for clarification, but again it seems
pretty cut and dry to me. What part is not clear?

--
Steven Edwards